jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Optimizing the index
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 07:57:52 GMT
The index in Jackrabbit will optimize itself based on configuration
properties. There is currently no method you can call to optimize the
index manually. If you think this is a needful enhancement can you
please create a jira issue: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR

Per default index folders with 100 nodes are created initially. When
there are 10 index folders they are merged and optimized into a single
index folder with approximately 1000 (=10*100) nodes. Similarly when
there are 10 index folders with each 1000 nodes those are merged and
optimized into a single one. The resulting index folder will then have
approximately 10000 nodes. The maximum number of nodes merged and
optimized into a single index is controlled by the 'maxMergeDocs'
parameter. The default value is 100'000. For your estimated number of
documents this is too low. You should increase this value to at least
1'000'000.

For a quick intro to the inner workings of the query engine see:
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/arch/operate/query.html

See also the 'SearchIndex' section in:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/jackrabbit/src/main/config/repository.xml

regards