jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From mikko.pelto...@netikka.fi
Subject Re: Backing up the repository
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:39:39 GMT

Hi Jukka,

> Until the backup/restore tool is finished, you have two main options:
>
> 1) Use the system view XML format to backup the content of your
> workspaces. This allows hot backups, but doesn't support easy
> restoring of namespaces, node types, or version histories.
>
> 2) Shut down the repository and use file-system (and optionally
> database) level backup tools. This gives you a complete snapshot of
> the entire repository, but requires a complete shutdown.

Thanks for the clarification. I think this should be part of the Jackrabbit FAQ.

> > I'm aware of the GSoC project for a backup tool, but that seem not to
> support
> > DbPM/FileSystem at least initially?
>
> It does. The current design of the backup tool works mostly on top of
> the JCR API using a slightly customized version of the system view XML
> format along with other information to provide a relatively complete
> backup of the entire repository. The restore part of the tool should
> be finished by the end of the summer.

Great! I somehow got the impression it only supports Xml or Object PM from here:
http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/BackupTool, but now reading more carefully it
means the *tool* uses one of these for the backup or what?

-Mikko-

P.S. Jackrabbit web site currently looks pretty messed up with Firefox, at least
with my 1.5.0.5 on XP.