jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Ramachandra Sankuratri" <ramachandra.sankura...@plateau.com>
Subject RE: Jackrabbit physical folder
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:33:07 GMT
My UseCase is as follows.

Say a HTML file is stored in the Jack Rabbit Repository. It has to refer
to a .jpg file that is also stored in the Repository. How is this
reference done so that it is valid both at the time of design (content
editing) and after publishing.

Thanks
Chandu

-----Original Message-----
From: Jukka Zitting [mailto:jukka.zitting@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 2:50 AM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: Jackrabbit physical folder

Hi,

On 6/21/06, Ramachandra Sankuratri <ramachandra.sankuratri@plateau.com>
wrote:
> Please refer to JSR170-1.0.pdf(spec) - "5.1 A File System-backed
Content
> Repository"(page41).
>
> Does it mean that the layout specified in this example cannot be
> retained in the file system-backed content repository?

The examples in the specification illustrate potential ways of
implementing the standard. Jackrabbit chooses a different approach of
using "item states" instead of files and folders as the principal
storage mechanism.

The item states are persisted through a persistence manager component
(of which we have a few) that decides the physical layout of the data.
However, the item state design doesn't really map well to a
traditional file system structure, it uses an id-to-content mapping
instead of path-to-content, so it would be quite difficult to achieve
the proposed storage layout.

Even more, Jackrabbit is designed to be completely in control of any
changes to the underlying storage, so even if we supported a
"traditional" file system storage, you wouldn't be able to modify the
contents of the files directly without major customization of
Jackrabbit.

What is your use case for wanting that kind of a storage model?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal
and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message is privileged
and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.