jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie questions
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:13:26 GMT
Hi,

On 7/30/06, James_1 <ponfar99@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1) Why does Versioning require both a FileSystem and PersistenceManager
> configured?  I think I understand what the PersistenceManager is for, but
> what about the FileSystem?  What kind of imformation is stored there?  Is it
> purely version data?  Is it orthogonal to the node data?  Can someone post
> an example of the kind of data that's stored in the FileSystem?

The versioning store in Jackrabbit is kind of a system workspace whose
contents are shared by all normal workspaces and which can only be
seen indirectly as the virtual /jcr:system/jcr:versionStorage subtree
of each workspace. Just like normal workspaces allow a FileSystem to
be configured for determining where their data is persisted, so does
the versioning store.

The configured FileSystem instance is passed to the configured
PersistenceManager with the idea that it should be used to actually
store the persistence files. In effect a PersistenceManager decides
how and a FileSystem where the content is persisted. Of course some
PersistenceManagers (like the database ones) skip the configured
FileSystem and use some other mechanism for storing and retrieving the
information.

> 2) How does NodeType Administration work?  Are node types stored only in the
> file system?  Adding/modifying nodetypes thus requires file i/o?

Yes. There's a custom_nodetypes.xml file that contains a persistent
copy of the configured node type definitions. The types are of course
also referenced by content within the persistence stores, so you
should generally only modify node types through the exposed
administration methods (see o.a.j.api.JackrabbitNodeTypeManager).

BR,

Jukka Zitting