jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A newbie Oracle config question
Date Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:50:19 GMT
hi robert,

On 6/29/06, Hinman, Robert A. <ROBERT.A.HINMAN@saic.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm using jLibrary to implement jackrabbit and I'm trying to configure it to
> work with Oracle, using the newly added OraclePersistenceManager.  I have
> read in other postings that people were able to set up the 'correct'
> configuration, even before these new classes were added.  I have been
> struggling with the repository.xml for a while
> - I was wondering if anyone could post an example repository.xml configured
> for the oracle persistence Manager.
>
> I also have some even more newbie questions about the repository.xml:
>
> 1)What is the benefit of using the DbFileSystem (or OracleFileSystem)
> instead of the localFileSystem class?

apart from nodes and properties which are stored using the PersistenceManager
there's additional repository state like custom node types, registered
namespaces,
locks etc that is stored in an abstract FileSystem, typically in a
LocalFileSystem
(i.e. on your local drive).

now you can use DbFileSystem to store this information in a database.
this way only the search index would be stored locally, everyhing else
is in the database. the advantages are obvious. however, the disadvantage
of this configuration is that you cannot easily read/edit the information stored
in the DbFileSystem. therefore i wouldn't recommend using DbFileSystem
in general.

> ... What are the parameters needed for
> this to function correctly with Oracle?(Specifically, what is the path in
> that case?)

please take a look at the javadoc of o.a.j.core.fs.db.OracleFileSystem
where all configuration parameters are documented.

> 2)What is the difference between the FileSystem tag outside the workspace
> tag and the one inside workspace?  Can they be different types (db and file
> system)?

please take a look at ./jackrabbit/src/main/config/repository.xml in svn
where all elements are documented.

cheers
stefan