jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Stefan Guggisberg" <stefan.guggisb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie Question: Oracle Support
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 08:12:05 GMT
hi david,

On 6/14/06, David.Winterbottom@ubs.com <David.Winterbottom@ubs.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have just started to look at jackrabbit so please don't take offence.
>
> I have a task to create a new web site. The new site will be fairly static,
> but we want to update and add content without performing a release process.
> There will also be a search facility and possibly a forum of some sort.
> We started looking at an in-house CMS but this had too many restrictions
> on the structure of our site.
>
> So we have decided to go back to a standard Web MVC. To fill the requirement
> of i18n we decided all content had come from a Resource Bundle with contents
> read from a database table (or a number of tables - *Backed by a cache of
> course*)
>
> This is when I discovered Apache Jackrabbit. If we used a Jackrabbit
> repository to back
> the Resource Bundle then if would make the search functionality a whole lot
> easier.
>
> I have looked at a number of simple implementations and jackrabbit looks
> like a good fit:
>
> My questions are:
>         Is this a valid use of the Jackrabbit Content Repository ?
>
>         Should I back my repository with a Database?
>
>         I have had some problems moving the simple examples to Oracle. Is
> Oracle a supported
>         database? I changed the ddl but even with the tables created I
> received constraint errors
>         on the indexes?

because of some well-known oracle peculiarities (such as empty strings
being treated as null values :( the generic SimpleDbPersistenceManager
cannot be used with oracle. however, 2 days ago i committed specialized
pm & fs implementations for oracle:

org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.db.OraclePersistenceManager
org.apache.jackrabbit.core.fs.db.OracleFileSystem

the javadoc of those 2 classes describe their configuration options.

cheers
stefan