jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Tobias Bocanegra" <tobias.bocane...@day.com>
Subject Re: understanding of Workspace
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 10:05:25 GMT
hi doug,
i think it depends on how you want to control which documents your
read-only app can see. i assume you want to 'publish' the documents
from you admin-application to the search-application. you can either
flag the published documents, and include this flag in all your
queries, or you can clone them into another workspace. imo, the 2
workspace-approach is the leanest, but uses of course twice as much
persistence-resources.

regards, toby

On 6/29/06, Doug Douglass <douglass.doug@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm seeking a little clarity understanding how Workspaces fit into overall
> JCR picture.
>
> FYI, I've got a lot of Documentum baggage that I think is clouding my mind
> -- don't hold it against me ;)
>
> Specifically, we're building a digital asset mgmt system based on
> JCR/Jackrabbit. Our current plan is a model 2/container-shared deployment.
> We have two clients applications: read-only servlet-based search and
> retrieval; and a read-write admin webapp with only a handful of users. In
> our first delivery, the search servlet will limit access based on the
> application making the request. Eventually we'll use ACLs to restrict based
> on the actual remote user's roles (all of that centrally managed via LDAP
> and a single user/access model across several containers/hosts; third party
> application access will be considered later).
>
> So, how do Workspaces fit into this:
>
>   * do we need more than one WS?
>
>   * if more than one, is it one WS for read-only and one for read-write?
>
>   * or should we expect one WS for each application (admin webapp, and one
> each for the remote applications that search and retrieve)
>

> I searched the wiki and read the API javadocs, but nothing provided enough
> depth.
>
> Pointers to any materials are very much appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> Doug

T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97