jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: store a link instead of the document
Date Mon, 12 Jun 2006 15:34:13 GMT
Hi,

On 6/12/06, Vikas Bhatia <vik002@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can I store all the information I need about the document like the
> > indexing, versioning and metadata except the document itself in
> > jackrabbit. what i want to store is a link to the document. For
> > example, store all the information about /etc/document.pdf and store a
> > link to document and leave the document where it was.
> >
> > Can this be done. If so, how?
> >
> Any ideas whether this is possible in jackrabbit. I need to integrate
> with a 3rd party data source and they seem insistent on not moving the
> data.

One option would be to create a custom text filter class that expects
to find a file path or a URL in the jcr:data property. The filter
would follow the link and index the document contents. But this way
you'd only be able to search the node based on the document contents,
but not read or write the document itself. You'd always need to read
the link and follow it explicitly when accessing the document through
JCR. This might be enough for a simple search/browse use case.

BR,

Jukka Zitting