jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Doug Douglass" <douglass.d...@gmail.com>
Subject understanding of Workspace
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:00:45 GMT
I'm seeking a little clarity understanding how Workspaces fit into overall
JCR picture.

FYI, I've got a lot of Documentum baggage that I think is clouding my mind
-- don't hold it against me ;)

Specifically, we're building a digital asset mgmt system based on
JCR/Jackrabbit. Our current plan is a model 2/container-shared deployment.
We have two clients applications: read-only servlet-based search and
retrieval; and a read-write admin webapp with only a handful of users. In
our first delivery, the search servlet will limit access based on the
application making the request. Eventually we'll use ACLs to restrict based
on the actual remote user's roles (all of that centrally managed via LDAP
and a single user/access model across several containers/hosts; third party
application access will be considered later).

So, how do Workspaces fit into this:

  * do we need more than one WS?

  * if more than one, is it one WS for read-only and one for read-write?

  * or should we expect one WS for each application (admin webapp, and one
each for the remote applications that search and retrieve)

I searched the wiki and read the API javadocs, but nothing provided enough
depth.

Pointers to any materials are very much appreciated.

TIA,
Doug