jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Reutegger <marcel.reuteg...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Correct uses of jackrabbit
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 07:39:33 GMT
Hi Gary,

Gary VanMatre wrote:
> Marcel, I enjoyed your presentation on JSR 170 (not JSR-170) at JavaOne.
> I had not realized that it worked with WebDAV.

jackrabbit also comes with a WebDAV server. you can try it out by
downloading this war file: jackrabbit-server-1.0.war from
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/downloads.cgi

> Going forward, do you see integration with applications at this level
> (WebDAV) or more using the direct API?

There are different ways how WebDAV can work together with a content
repository. I basically see two:

1) provide 3rd party applications access to resources stored in a
repository. e.g. there is a calendar server project called cosmo that is
based on jackrabbit and uses a WebDAV server on top of it
(http://wiki.osafoundation.org/bin/view/Projects/CosmoHome).

2) use WebDAV as a protocol to build a remote client that again exposes the
JCR API.

> It would be idea if you could use the java URL object to access content.

This is indeed possible with the jackrabbit WebDAV server. See above.

regards
  marcel