jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From gvanma...@comcast.net (Gary VanMatre)
Subject Correct uses of jackrabbit
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 16:37:52 GMT
First, I would like to say that the jackrabbit maven build rocks.

I'm interested in some feedback on correct uses of jackrabbit. I'm thinking about an apache
shale integration. There are a couple of specific extension points that I think would be interesting
to exploit.

The shale clay plug-in allows JavaServer Faces page composition using html and xml templating,
an alternative to the standard JSP Tags. I was thinking that these templates could be served
up from a jackrabbit repository instead of prepackaged in a war. The other candidate for content
management would be the shale remoting that allows you to serve up images and cascading style
sheets bundled under the classpath. This feature was originally targeted for fully contained
and self registering libraries of JSF components but I would like to explore hooking into
a jackrabbit repository.

I was thinking that these features might be attractive to shops that had different release
schedules for static content versus code pushes. I also wondered if this would be attractive
to web application that need to be skinned differently depending on the customer.

Can principle security be used to define the content? I was thinking in terms of user A belonging
with company XYZ might have a different image logo than user B in company ZYX. Or, would this
better/correctly managed using different workspaces associated with each company.
Would this be a good fit for jackrabbit? Would it perform well enough to handle serving up
the content of each page hit that might in turn require several html templates and images
per page?  Or, is it more suited as a repository managing artifacts used to assemble a web
archive?

Gary