jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From "Danner, Russ" <Dann...@csps.com>
Subject RE: JCR workspace usage
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:36:55 GMT

This is as I suspected but I wanted to make sure!  Like I said the spec is
not entirely clear to me on this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Reutegger [mailto:marcel.reutegger@gmx.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2006 3:49 AM
To: users@jackrabbit.apache.org
Subject: Re: JCR workspace usage

Danner, Russ wrote:
> If I am supporting multiple publications is it advisable to put them all
> the same workspace or in separate work spaces?

this depends what you intend to do with those publications and what
requirements you have. certain features are not cross-workspace. e.g.
references are only possible between nodes of the same workspace.
executing a query will always be targeted to a single workspace.

> If I want to relate documents from different publications, is it no true
> that I must put them in the same workspace? The JCR spec is strange in
> it is unclear how nodes in different workspaces work together (it reads a
> little bit like alternate universes).

you can look at workspaces as local checkouts of a revision control
system. those checkouts are not all the same. one may only contain a
subset of the items that are under revision control, another may contain
revisions of items that are tagged to a certain milestone. and then you
may see items in a checkout that are not even under version control. all
of this also applies to JCR workspaces.

> On page 35 of the spec issue last year it gives an example where two
> different workspaces have nodes with the same UUID -- but not the same

different workspace may checkout different version of the 'same node'.
thus the content of the nodes are different, but they belong to the same
version history.

> What if I update one of the nodes?  Is the change represented by the other
> node with the same UUID in the other workspace? Sorry I'm out to lunch on
> this.

no, changes to nodes are strictly workspace local. to get the changes
into another workspace you either have to:

- clone the node across workspaces
- check in the changes and then update the node in the other workspace
to the just checked in version.

View raw message