jackrabbit-users mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Quenot <...@apache.org>
Subject Document order enabled by default
Date Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:56:51 GMT
Hello,

First,  thanks  a lot  for  providing  Jackrabbit.  I'm  currently
evaluating it for replacing an  XML database that is not providing
good enough response times.

I used Jackrabbit from the jcr block of Cocoon, imported thousands
of XML documents using the builtin XML import facility and started
to write  a query.  At first  glance, the response times  were not
what I was expecting at all  (40 seconds), as I heard queries were
based on Lucene.

So after digging/debugging into the  code I noticed Jackrabbit was
spending an  awful lot of  time in Arrays.sort(), and  appeared to
use DocOrderNodeIteratorImpl as implementation of NodeIterator.

So I watched the source for lucene.QueryImpl and noticed the use
of a default implicit order on the search results:

    /**
     * If <code>true</code> the default ordering of the result nodes is in
     * document order.
     */
    private boolean documentOrder = true;

After switching  off this attribute with  an ugly hack in  my code
and a patch to QueryImpl, search results dropped to a few hundreds
milliseconds.

Is there  an easy way  to configure this setting?   Maybe pointing
out this tip in the FAQ would be great.

TIA,
--
Jean-Baptiste Quenot