From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confusions about API's and Flavours in the documentation ...
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:59:46 GMT

On 12.8.14 1:24 , KÖLL Claus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After looking more and more into the oak codebase i feel sometimes a little bit confused
with the documentation.
> I think the documentation doesn't reflect the reality in the codebase regarding the Microkernel
API and NodeStore API for the two flavours (microkernel / nodestore).

Unfortunately these terms are not used consistently. There is an
Microkernel API and a NodeStore API, which are roughly equivalent in the
provided functionality. The term Microkernel however is often used in
the broader sense to refer to any implementation of either of the two APIs.

Michael

> In the big picture we have the NodeStore Layer and underneath the SegmentMK, DocumentMK
and the KernelNodeStore.
> I think SegmentNodeStore and DocumentNodeStore would be correct ??
>
> One confusing thing is that the SegmentMK (also used in other pages) isn't really a implementation
but the DocumentMK is one.
> DocumentMK is also used here http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/nodestore/documentmk.html
but i think this page describes more the
> NodeStore API from the document flavour or not ?
>
> A little bit confusing is also the configuration of a DocumentNodeStore. You will get
a dependency to the DocumentMK which belongs in my view to
> the Microkernel API. Maybe it would be better to move the Builder to its own class so
it could be used in both API's.