From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Oak 1.0 (and 0.20) release plan
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 13:26:03 GMT
Hi,

We've done a lot of stuff over the past two years and many parts of
Oak are already good enough for production use, so I think we should
start preparing for our 1.0 release.

Our original plan was to target for Jackrabbit 3.0 [1] but given the
problems we encountered [2] I think it would make more sense to do
separate Jackrabbit 2.8 and Oak 1.0 releases now, and revisit the idea
of a unified Jackrabbit 3.0 release once the dust settles.

With that background, here's my suggestion for a Oak 1.0 release plan:

* Cut Oak 0.20 from trunk already this week to get a clear branch point
* Create a 1.0 branch from that point, with version number to 1.0-SNAPSHOT
  - this will be our release branch, with focus on stability
  - all changes should go first to trunk, and merged to 1.0 only after
extra review
  - if needed, we can cut a few more 0.2x releases from the branch
  - when everything looks good, we cut Oak 1.0.0 from the branch
  - afterwards the branch will be used for 1.0.x maintenance releases
* Update trunk version to 1.1-SNAPSHOT
  - normal development may continue in the trunk
  - any changes should remain backwards compatibile with 1.0

[1] http://markmail.org/message/u7dsue7ezb4cd4ox
[2] http://markmail.org/message/lgvbvw742zryhlmp

BR,

Jukka Zitting