From Chetan Mehrotra <chetan.mehro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1583994 - in /jackrabbit/oak/trunk/oak-core/src: main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/blob/datastore/OakFileDataStore.java test/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/blob/datastore/OakFileDataStoreTest.java
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 13:17:46 GMT
On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> The inUse map is in FileDataStore for a reason.

Ack. From what I have understood from Blob GC logic in Oak is that it
relies on blob last modified value to distinguish between active used
blobs. So for performing GC only those blob would be considered whose
lastModified value is say 1 day. Only these blobs would be candidate
for deletion. This ensures that any blob created in transient space
are not considered for GC.

So current logic does make an assumption that 1 day is sufficient time
and hence not foolproof. However the current impl of inUse would
probably only work for a single node system and would fail for shared
DataStore scenario as its an in memory state and its hard to determine
inUse state for whole cluster. For supporting such case we would have
to rely on lastModified time interval to distinguish between active
used blobs

regards
Chetan

Chetan Mehrotra