From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code style
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2014 15:12:07 GMT

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Davide Giannella
<giannella.davide@gmail.com> wrote:
> I raised the topic as the issue I'm working with (OAK-1263) is costing
> me quite some time in fixing formatting.

The formatting wasn't broken to begin with, it was your patch that was
changing perfectly valid formatting.

The problem here isn't our lack of formatting rules, but rather your
overly eager IDE configuration. This wouldn't be such a problem if we
all used the exact same IDEs with the exact same configuration and the
IDEs made perfect formatting choises in all cases, but that's an
impossible requirement especially for an open source project.

> I know that for a committer this is not felt as you simply commit but if
> you submit a patch then you have to go though the pain of fixing the
> formatting according to "committer mood" rather than some written rules.

The only reason you have that pain in the first place is that your IDE
is configured to automatically apply formatting rules. Disable that
and you only need to worry about the lines of code that you're
actually changing.

Jukka Zitting

View raw message