From Tobias Bocanegra <tri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for configuring Oak using PojoSR and not miss good old repository.xml for configuration!
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2014 22:18:26 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Chetan Mehrotra
<chetan.mehrotra@gmail.com> wrote:
> Proposal
> -------------
>
> To enable ease of both configuration and modularity we already support
> OSGi. With PojoSR (as explained in other mail [1]) we can support both
>
> 1. Have a PojoSR based RepositoryFactory to provide access to
> Repository instance
> 2. Have a custom xml way to capture OSGi configuration. Instead of
> config scattered across multiple property file we can consolidate all
> such config in a single file. For some example see [2] [3]
>
> As implemented with [4] when repository starts with default Segment
> store configured it creates following directory layout
>
> <repo-home>
>   |__ /bundles
>   |__/content
>   |__/config
>
> the config folder can be replaced with single xml.
I don't think we should do that, and stick to the default properties
files that felix generates. they are easy to understand and are
modular. for example, adding a new bundle + config  can be provisioned
with a zip-file. but if you have 1 XML, you need to merge configs.
(that, and beside the fact, that I dislike XML very much).

> Bundles folder is
> created by PojoSR as some bundles like ConfigAdmin use the bundle data
> folder to store some state
>
> Benefits
> 1. Repository can easily be extended vis std OSGi constructs is users
> use DS and put there "bundle" in the flat classpath
> 2. For simple setup users can directly register there service
> programatically with the PojoServiceRegistry
> 3. Configuration is managed in a central place and can easily be edited
> 4. For more adventurous usage users can also enable the Felix
> WebConsole when deploying a Oak based application in Tomocat or even
> uses Felix Jetty bundle!. Most of the webconsole would work
>
> Thoughts?

+1 That would be very cool.

regards, toby