From Davide Giannella <giannella.dav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code style
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2014 15:47:41 GMT
Hi Jukka,

On 04/03/2014 15:12, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Davide Giannella
> <giannella.davide@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I raised the topic as the issue I'm working with (OAK-1263) is costing
>> me quite some time in fixing formatting.
> The formatting wasn't broken to begin with, it was your patch that was
> changing perfectly valid formatting.
> The problem here isn't our lack of formatting rules, but rather your
> overly eager IDE configuration. This wouldn't be such a problem if we
> all used the exact same IDEs with the exact same configuration and the
> IDEs made perfect formatting choises in all cases, but that's an
> impossible requirement especially for an open source project.
>> I know that for a committer this is not felt as you simply commit but if
>> you submit a patch then you have to go though the pain of fixing the
>> formatting according to "committer mood" rather than some written rules.
> The only reason you have that pain in the first place is that your IDE
> is configured to automatically apply formatting rules. Disable that
> and you only need to worry about the lines of code that you're
> actually changing.
I'm not saying that my patch didn't brake any formatting. That's why I'm
fixing as much as possible. Unfortuately with the change of the computer
some Eclipse settings went away and now the damage is done. :) I'm
saying that with the proper tool in place this would have not happened
as the build would (potentially) break if the formatting is not good.

In any case I could have a precise report of file name and line number
of what is wrong and at the end even the committer should not care about
the formatting as a tool is taking care of it by highlighting in case of

View raw message