From Davide Giannella <giannella.dav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code style
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2014 08:50:51 GMT
On 03/03/2014 17:20, Tobias Bocanegra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 6:14 AM, Davide Giannella
> <giannella.davide@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just spent some time in fixing formatting issues...
> what would that be?

Well, spaces, line wrapping, indentation, that changed on an existing
class and Eclipse that decided to apply some
rules.

>> ...for a pull request ;)
> we don't use git directly but svn - so I don't really know why a pull
> request would matter...

I know. But when submitting a patch to the ticket I also raise a pull
request so that it will be easier to see on github what changed for the
committer.

>> Question: why don't we use the maven checkstyle plugin?
> for what? we are quite liberal in coding style and respect personal
> preferences. the only checkstyle rules that make sense are the ones
> that find or prevent bugs (like avoiding .* imports).
>
>> In this way it
>> can check the styles (we could plug it in the pedantic profile) and it
>> could even fail the build if some exceptions occurred.
> we already have the RAT plugin for the license checks. what other
> styles you want to check or enforce?
Rat enforce the licence headers while the checkstyle automatically
checks for example that there're no tabs for indentation. You can extend
it as much as you like.

But got the message that there're no style preferences and that anyone
does almost what they want as long as they use spaces and respect what
was there before :)

Cheers
Davide