From Tobias Bocanegra <tri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Make "Whiteboard" accessible through ContentRepository
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2014 22:49:37 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Tobias Bocanegra <tripod@apache.org> wrote:
>> in case of the LoginModules, that's not possible.
>
> But accessing the whiteboard is? I don't see what's special about the
> whiteboard, it's just a service dependency like any other.

No, it's a piece of infrastructure, and part of the Oak SPI. I think
that components should be able to rely on a system wide Whiteboard if
they want.
Also, the LoginModules are not 'services' in that sense. they get
instantiated by JAAS and can only communicate via Callbacks with the
login context.

>> This is ok for unit tests etc, but there is currently no way of
>> "configuring" Oak. So there is no ootb "run.sh" that will start your
>> oak server. If we ever want to go there, we need to define how to get
>> there. We can shift this problem to Sling and let them provide such a
>> server, or we can start your own "launchpad". currently, you need to
>> compile classes in order to configure your server. if this is ok, we
>> can stay with the current setup and hard-wire all dependencies.
>
> That is OK, at least that's been the plan so far. It doesn't make
> sense for Oak to reinvent a component framework like OSGi or Spring.
> Instead Oak components should be usable within any such framework, or
> even in plain old Java.
>
>> The problem is, that the whiteboard that is initially initialized in
>> Oak() already has some anonymous overrides for delaying stuff.
>> So when passing a non-osgi one externally, this logic is lost,
>> although it might be needed.
>
> Right. I guess we should refactor that part of the code to avoid the overrides.

ok: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-1411

regards, toby