From Tobias Bocanegra <tri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Make "Whiteboard" accessible through ContentRepository
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2014 00:30:20 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 1:48 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Tobias Bocanegra <tripod@apache.org> wrote:
>> True, but if we want to write LoginModules what work in both worlds,
>> then we need to offer a common interface to access to services - and
>> that's currently the whiteboard.
>
> But it isn't. When running in plain old Java, the DefaultWhiteboard
> only contains a small subset of services that need the dynamic
> registration/lookup functionality of the whiteboard pattern. Normal
> components whose wiring can be achieved with direct object references
> are not kept in the Whiteboard, and can't be looked up through it.

I think that this is a problem. In case of the LoginModule, it would
be very difficult and clumsy to hard wire the respective providers for
them to work. Unless we invent a specific LoginModuleServiceRegistry
or similar, that is provided by the SecurityManager as configuration
and can be used to statically add the services you want....but we get
this for free with OSGi and we should have a pendant for the non-osgi
case.

> This is by design. We don't want to reinvent OSGi.
sure. we should use OSGi.

regards, toby