From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Make "Whiteboard" accessible through ContentRepository
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2014 07:25:48 GMT
Hi

This thread indeed raises the question, why Oak has to come up with something (the Whiteboard)
that is almost but not quite like OSGi instead of going all the way through ?

As a stop-gap measure, instead of going full-OSGi you could also just leverage the feature,
that you really need: The service registry and base on something like Karl Pauls' µServices
[2] and PojoSR [3]

Interestingly, when I started with what became Apache Sling I worked on a thing called the
"Extension Frameworkg for JCR Repositories" [1] until it turned out that it basically would
be reinventing OSGi … and so Sling became an OSGi application.

Regards
Felix

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/sandbox/inactive/extension-framework/
[2] http://www.pro-vision.de/content/medialib/pro-vision/production/adaptto/2013/adaptto2013-osgi--services-karl-pauls-pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.download_attachment.file/adaptto2013-osgi--services-karl-pauls.pdf
[3] http://code.google.com/p/pojosr/