From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Observation
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:29:15 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 6:10 AM, Michael Dürig <mduerig@apache.org> wrote:
> On 8.11.13 10:37 , Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
>> Regarding journaled observation: retrieving a journal with
>> ObservationManager#getEventJournal can allow access to events that
>> happend earlier, right?
>
> The spec. doesn't say much here. I'd interpret it as getEventJournal()
> returns the journal from the point where that call was made rather then from
> the beginning of times.

This interpretation makes the event journal essentially useless, as
one could achieve the same functionality with a normal observation
listener.

The point of journaled observation is to be able to access past
events, which the spec confirms (section 12.6):

    "Journaled observation allows an application to periodically connect
    to the repository and receive a report of changes that have occurred
    since some specified point in the past (for example, since the last
    connection)."

Of course section 12.6.2 contradicts that by essentially giving the
repository free reign to decide which (if any) events to include in
the journal.

So instead of the spec, I think we should look at existing client code
to determine what kind of expectations they have.

BR,

Jukka Zitting