From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: writing a new MK, guidelines
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 17:36:10 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:31 AM, Tommaso Teofili
<tommaso.teofili@gmail.com> wrote:
> out of curiosity, I was wondering if there's any guideline other than
> following the API on writing a new MK implementation.
> What one should start with, design concepts, experience on known dos,
> donts, caveats, etc.

The node state documentation in [1] should give you an idea of how
higher levels of Oak look at and access the underlying data
structures. Looking at just the MicroKernel API can easily lead you to
design something that doesn't work too well in practice, like we
experienced with the original MongoMK codebase.

Also, the SegmentMK [2] and MongoMK [3] design documents describe two
existing approaches. They highlight most of the key issues to be
considered.

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/nodestate.html
[2] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/segmentmk.html
[3] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/mongomk.html