From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject JCR2.1 (JSR-333) and Oak
Date Fri, 29 Nov 2013 09:01:11 GMT

Hi,

This question has already come up on OAK-190 [1]: how should we proceed
wrt. the upcoming JCR 2.1 specification [2]?

JSR-333 is "Proposed Final Draft", which means that it is waiting on the
completion of the RI and TCK. However, it seem Oak 1.0 will arrive
sooner than the final JSR-333 specification.

For maximum backward compatibility and minimal impact on future
requirements re. JCR 2.1 I suggest we implement the new APIs (at least
as stubs) in order to avoid potential collisions. Where required we
could expose those implementations through the Oak API, which would then
later on overlap the JCR 2.1 API. Optionally we could also add a JCR 2.1
build profile.
OTOH at this point I'm reluctant to already support JCR 2.1. This would
introduce a dependency on a unfinished draft (i.e. a snapshot dependency
Maven wise). Furthermore it might lead to compatibility issues once the
RI comes out and sufficiently differs from Oak.

Michael

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-190
[2] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=333