From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Paths in Oak
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 11:28:49 GMT

On 1.11.13 1:43 , Jukka Zitting wrote:
> In Oak it has been an explicit goal to avoid those conversions for the
> common case where no namespace remappings are present. Then in most
> cases it should be possible to just keep the original path string
> passed by the client and use String.substring() for the individual
> path segments.

TBH I still doubt that this is the right approach. While it might be
possible to make this working initially, it will also make it way to
easy to introduce performance regressions again later on. Having these
path conversion functions around means people will use them whenever
they feel like it thus breaking the initial goal to "just pass the
strings around".

Wrapping the path and related entities into dedicated classes will
surely add some overhead at first. But it will OTOH clearly communicate
the intend of what otherwise are just naked strings. In addition it will
introduce a clear boundary for optimisations while in the string case
these blur with the client code.

In a nutshell: I think we can make it work but I fear it will break
again and again further down the line.

Michael