From Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Rethinking access control evaluation
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2013 12:05:38 GMT
hi michael

i don't want to create yet another implementation that doesn't fit
our requirements... we had too many escalations due to the limitation
of jackrabbit core without being able to address them.

you have been involved in the recent discussion with our soco team
and they are definitely looking for scalable repository without
limitation in terms of access control content.

in other words: i want to ship oak with a ac setup that not only
covers the default setup. already with jackrabbit-core it was possible
to configure custom implementations of the permission evaluation and i
just know of one single case where this was actually considered an option.
that's why i came to the conclusion that we have to make sure that
we get rid of these limitations out of the box.

at the same time the permission eval should still be pluggable such that we
can extend or even replace the current model. but i consider this
an option for completely replacing the evaluation model (e.g.
each document comes with it's own permissions and there is no
inheritance at all)... i don't want to offer pluggability as
as workaround for limitations of the implementation. that's what
we had in the past: the limitations were known and communicated even
before releasing  jackrabbit 2.x and i was always told that
it's not a problem. this was simply not true... i learned my lession :-)

kind regards
angela