From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Oak JCR Observation scalability aspects and concerns
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 13:59:10 GMT

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@apache.org> wrote:
> This is the contract we have to maintain in Sling.

I repeat from my earlier post:

> Right, it just means that a deployment with such an observer will have
> a built-in scalability limit as at some point the listener will no
> longer be able to keep up with all concurrent writes across a large
> and busy cluster.
> For now I'd document this limitation and possibly deprecate the
> JcrResourceListener functionality. A deployment can turn the
> functionality off once it reaches the scalability limit and has
> identified/fixed all affected code.

In addition to the earlier ideas I listed, the proposed
ContentChangeListener is one way we could use to reduce the reliance
of application code on the current JcrResourceListener contract, and
thus make it easier for a deployment to eventually break through that
inherent scalability limit.

Jukka Zitting

View raw message