From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Oak JCR Observation scalability aspects and concerns
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2013 08:53:22 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Angela Schreiber <anchela@adobe.com> wrote:
> ...the biggest challenge i see in terms of backwards compatibility is
> that the diff-mechanism in OAK doesn't allow a 1:1 translation
> to JCR events as they used to be generated in jackrabbit-core...

The OSGi events that Sling rebroadcasts are less granular than JCR
events, so this might not be a problem for that case.

If at some point we can say "low-level JCR events behave slightly
differently between Oak and Jackrabbit, but the higher-level OSGi
events that Sling provides are the same" that might be a realistic
compromise.

> ...we keep getting mixed signals
> ("be fully compatible" vs "just make it scalable and fast") and need
> get a more reliable feedback to in...

So maybe being fully compatible (*) at the Sling level, and scalable
and fast at the JCR level, is a good way forward.

-Bertrand

(*) might require some Sling client code to indicate more precisely
which events it wants to listen to, but that's a reasonable price to
pay IMO