From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Oak JCR Observation scalability aspects and concerns
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:29:33 GMT
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
>>This is the contract we have to maintain in Sling.
> Well, we can't maintain this contract, because it blocks scalability....

I tend to agree, and OTOH not everybody will need the kind of
scalability that we're discussing here.

Many of the usage patterns described at [1] can be solved without
observation, in more scalable ways.

Providing a way for users who actually need high scalability to move
away from the "catch all events" patterns, using Jukka's whiteboard
suggestion for example, sounds good to me. That might require work
from such users, but at some point we have to admit that there's no
magic.

-Bertrand

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SLING/Observation+usage+patterns#