From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Oak JCR Observation scalability aspects and concerns
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 13:47:47 GMT
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Instead of an repository problem (like diffing, event creation, etc.),
> this analysis tells me that the bottleneck here is the application
> that tries to listen to so many events...

FWIW, by default Sling does have a listener that catches everything to
rebroadcast JCR observation events as OSGi events.

See JcrResourceListener [1] which is created by
JcrResourceProviderFactory [2] which by default causes it to listen
for all node/property added/removed/changed events on /.

That's difficult to modify while staying backwards compatible, as we
have no way of knowing which events are actually used.

I don't have a suggestion at this point, just wanted to make sure
you're aware of this.

-Bertrand

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/resource/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/jcr/resource/internal/JcrResourceListener.java

[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/bundles/jcr/resource/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/jcr/resource/internal/helper/jcr/JcrResourceProviderFactory.java