From Alex Parvulescu <alex.parvule...@gmail.com>
Subject benchmark cache size
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:37:04 GMT
hi,

I was looking at the '--cache' option in the benchmark runner, and I
noticed that the setting doesn't go all the way to the TarMk's FileStore,
it looks like the default of 256MB is always used [0].
Is this expected?

Also, what does this setting actually mean and what is the context where
tweaking this is relevant?

I ran a quick reference search for the Cache interface and I got:

org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.mongomk
MongoDocumentStore
  nodesCache
MongoMK
  diffCache
MongoNodeStore
  docChildrenCache
  nodeCache
  nodeChildrenCache
-> here we seem to have a sum that can only go up to 256M of all of them
(tweakable only in an osgi context)

org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment
AbstractStore
  records       -> fixed at 'maximumSize(1000)'
  segments      -> tweakable (but currently fixed at 256M, see above)

But we also have LoadingCache instances:

KernelNodeStore
  cache        -> it looks like the 'cache' setting ends up here!

KernelNodeState
  cache        -> same cache instance as KernelNodeStore#cache
  DUMMY_CACHE  -> used for testing perhaps

thanks,
alex

[0]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jackrabbit/oak/trunk/oak-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/segment/file/FileStore.java?view=markup#l66