From Tobias Bocanegra <tri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reduce number of calls from Oak to Mongo DB on restarts
Date Mon, 28 Oct 2013 17:53:02 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >The SegmentMK addresses this issue by grouping related content into
> >larger segments and thus reducing the number of network or disk
> >accesses needed in most use cases. Perhaps the MongoMK could do
> >something similar?
>
> Yes. What might work is to store a limited number of child nodes (a
> subtree really) in the parent node (in the parent document), for a certain
> revision. Kind of a cache, which is only used if there is no change below
> the given subtree. The subtree cache would be built in a background
> thread, and outdated subtree caches could be removed whenever a document
> is changed (possibly also in a background thread).

I think especially for "document like" structures, like
nt:hierarchyNode+jcr:content (eg: cq:Page+cq:PageContent) it makes
sense to store the subtree in one object, as such a document is
usually treated as 1 entity and all its subnodes are usually traversed
on read. IIRC, it was one of the initial design ideas of the MK to do
a smart subtree collating in oder to reduce the number of json objects
to be stored.

> Using MapDB [1] or the H2 MVStore [2] for caching: this might improve
> startup time drastically, if we really load many nodes at startup. But I'm
> a bit afraid of the added complexity to maintain a local storage. So far
> we don't use local storage as far as I know.
>
> [1] http://www.mapdb.org/
> [2] http://h2database.com/html/mvstore.html
>

> Regards,
> Thomas