From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Migration without an embedded Jackrabbit
Date Mon, 14 Oct 2013 08:38:48 GMT
Hi

I see the problem and I agree that this in fact *is* a problem.

But I still don't agree with an integrated, transparent solution to this upgrade problem.
And I never will -- such application bloat and even code duplication along with testing and
maintenance etc. requirements just sound scaring.

Also: Code duplication is one of the big evils in application development.

IMNSHO migration of Jackrabbit 2 based repositories to Oak is a one-shot problem: you apply
this once to a repository and be done. So why load the application with a host of unneeded
pieces ?

Rather, I suggest to come up with a standalone application, which can be a conglomerate of
original Jackrabbit and Oak libraries and which do the migration in one step. This application
can be optimized and fine-tuned to just this single use-case: migration.

This way, both Jackrabbit 2 and Oak applications stay clean of such migration junk.

This also makes it clear that migration of storage from Jackrabbit2 to Oak is not something
that can and will be done by just snipping your fingers, but which is a potentially long-running
and complex operation.

Regards
Felix