From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject SegmentMK OffsetCache
Date Tue, 17 Sep 2013 09:45:44 GMT

Hi (Jukka),

While looking into a OAK-1019 I was wondering whether the internal data
structure for the OffsetCache is actually the right choice. The arrays,
which are used to hold the offsets and the values will always grow but
never shrink. Although the values are soft referenced, their reference
will still take up its corresponding array slot after a gc.

Do we have an idea what the chances are such slots are reused? I presume
the offsets are not uniquely distributed across the whole offset space.
Otherwise there is a high chance of accumulating lots of unoccupied
slots in these arrays. A sparse array implementation might be a better
choice in this case.

Michael