From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exception thrown in Item.save
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:32:39 GMT

On 10.9.13 1:10 , Chetan Mehrotra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After refreshing the build which has changes done in OAK-993 I am
> getting following exception. (Detailed one at [1])
>
> --
> Caused by: javax.jcr.UnsupportedRepositoryOperationException:
> OakUnsupported0000: Failed to save subtree at
> /content/usergenerated/content/geometrixx-outdoors/en/socialforum-vpktx/jcr:content/forum/1_ciot/wufg-init_topic_vpktx1.
> There are transient modifications outside that subtree.
> ---
>
> Now from OAK-993 I understand that such saves would cause issue. Can
> some background be provided in
>
> 1. What might be the issue cause
> 2. Is this a change in behavior from JR2
> 3. If as a user I see such issue then what should I change ... or what
> I am doing which is causing this issue
>
> [1] https://paste.apache.org/mAL7

Item.save() is deprecated and Oak doesn't fully support it. Up to
OAK-993 calling Item.save() would log a warning and then fall back to
Session.save(). As this might cause strange, undesired and difficult to
diagnose side effects, OAK-993 changed this such that Item.save() now
implements the contract by saving the item if the result is the same as
calling Session.save() and throwing an
UsupportedRepositoryOperationException otherwise.

For the time being and until issues with upstream applications are
sorted out, you could use -Ditem-safe-does-session-safe=true to get the
old behaviour.

Michael