From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Conflict handling causes spurious observation events
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:35:54 GMT

On 23.7.13 10:57, Chetan Mehrotra wrote:
> Its possible that for a series of changes like [b1,h1] ->[ b1,h2] ->
> [h1,h3] the observation logic miss out seeing in between state
> transition. But it would effectively see all the changes. Only changes
> which get negated between missed transition would not be observed. But
> I do not see a way that such losses can be avoided without going for a
> linear journal or serializing the complete commit sequences.

See my recent mail for how I think we can achieve serialisation by
rebasing in NodeStoreBranch.merge(). This has said impact on session
concurrency. As a further optimisation we can later try to do something
similar like the SegmentMK, which tries optimistic locking first and
falls back to optimistic locking if this fails. But let's go one step at
a time.

Michael