From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Asynchronous indexing consistency
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:07:08 GMT
Hi,

>A complication here is the way the current index configurations nodes
>are structured, as we'd have to copy the root to something like
>/oak:index/someIndex/:before and without careful pre- or
>post-processing that would end up creating a recursive sequence of
>past revisions at
>/oak:index/someIndex/:before/oak:index/someIndex/:before/...

Hm, wouldn't we need to copy (just) all user defined content, excluding
index data? That means, if a user create a node under "/test" we would
need to copy that?

  copy(source="/test", target="/<were we want the backup>/test")

But if we do this: the user could potentially create many child nodes in
the root node, and we would have to copy each one individually, each time
we want to create such a "backup". In theory that could be millions of
nodes.

One somewhat nice way to avoid that (well it has other problems) is if we
keep all user defined content (the root node of the repository) in a node
_below_ the root, for example in /jcr:root/. Or we could use the workspace
name :-) In any case that would be quite a big change.

A (rather ugly) alternative would be to support an "exclude list" for the
copy operation (so the source and target don't overlap).

Regards,
Thomas