From Lukas Eder <mar09...@adobe.com>
Subject MongoMK Revision.toString() usage
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 14:13:41 GMT
Hello,

I've been investigating Oak performance and found a couple of cases where MongoMK makes use
of stringified versions of the org.apache.jackrabbit.mongomk.Revision type. One example of
such a problem was reported here [1].

I have a couple of things that I'd like to talk about, concerning Revision.toString() usage:

 1.  toString() should hardly ever be used for anything other than debugging. It is very hard
to find relevant matching references of Object.toString() in a Java code base. In other words,
toString() is almost not "refactorable". E.g. is hard to predict what side-effects a change
to the toString() behaviour will have. Ideally, toString() should delegate to another method,
such as format(), where the predicable logic is really implemented.
 2.  Revision has a much lower memory footprint than its string representation, so it is actually
be better suited to be used in maps, caches, etc.
 3.  MongoMK.isCommitted() is an example that shows how revisions are unnecessarily transformed
back and forth to strings.

In a larger profiling session, Revision.fromString() and Revision.toString() accounted for
a total of around 1.5% of all CPU time on my machine.
This may seem like micro-optimisation to some, but I think that we should take these things
seriously, as they might add up to a significant amount of CPU and memory waste, if practiced
across a large code base.

Please, let me know what you think.

Cheers
Lukas