From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Asynchronous indexing consistency
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 08:02:27 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> What I meant by "reading old revisions" is that we need a way to read old
> revisions. You have suggested to use the copy operation to do that, which
> is fine; another solution is to not garbage collect a certain revision;
> this would require a new API (a way to define which revision to keep), and
> the node state API would need to be extended to support using revisions
> explicitly.

Right.

> I think using the copy operation would be preferable, if we find a simple
> way to support it in the MongoMK. Possibly the MongoMK could internally
> implement the copy operation (when copying a large tree) as keeping a
> pointer to a revision. That way we don't need a new API. It would slightly
> complicate the MongoMK, specially if we need a way to change the copy.
> Just supporting a fast read-only copy (a snapshot) should be feasible I
> think.

Yes, read-only should be good enough.

A complication here is the way the current index configurations nodes
are structured, as we'd have to copy the root to something like
/oak:index/someIndex/:before and without careful pre- or
post-processing that would end up creating a recursive sequence of
past revisions at
/oak:index/someIndex/:before/oak:index/someIndex/:before/...

BR,

Jukka Zitting