From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Oak 0.7 release plan (Was: Oak 0.6 release plan)
Date Fri, 03 May 2013 06:51:11 GMT
Hi,

It's quite a while since our last release so I'd like to pick up the
pace again and go back to a monthly release schedule. With that in
mind, let's shoot for cutting the Oak 0.7 release candidate on Monday
next week. For that we'll also need a Jackrabbit 2.7.0 release
candidate, which I'll bring up separately on dev@jackrabbit.

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> After that release I'd like to start the road towards Jackrabbit 3.0
> by starting to include Oak in the Jackrabbit deployment packages
> (-webapp, -standalone, etc.) and by preparing initial
> upgrade/migration tools. I'll follow up with more details on that
> after the release.

See OAK-806 for my initial work on an Oak content upgrade/migration
tool like the one we already have in jackrabbit-standalone. That
should be a good first step.

Once Oak 0.7 is out, I plan to make that release a dependency of the
Jackrabbit deployment packages so we can start drafting what a unified
Jackrabbit 3.0 release might look like.

The tricky bit here is that Oak already depends on various lower level
Jackrabbit components, so having Oak as a dependency of Jackrabbit is
a bit complicated. As a first step we can live with a fixed 0.7
release dependency in the higher level deployment packages, but a
better solution is needed going forward.

One option would be to go back with the "Jackrabbit Commons" approach
of separate per-component release cycles we tried earlier, but that
didn't work out too well then and I doubt it would work any better
now. So instead, as already outlined earlier in
http://markmail.org/message/ngawcazewghpgf7s, I propose that we
migrate the Oak components into Jackrabbit trunk and target at having
both repository implementations included in the same release in time
for Jackrabbit 2.8.

BR,

Jukka Zitting