From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scalability of JCR observation
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2013 06:36:18 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Ian Boston <ieb@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
> When mentioning AMQ, I forgot to mention that one size doesn't fit all use
> cases. When I first connected AMQ to Jackrabbit observation via OSGi
> events, AMQ rapidly became swamped with the volume of events. OSGi events
> were just about able to cope but as soon as the events were propagated over
> the network the volume was too great.

Indeed. Most message queue systems out there are designed for
application/document level messages (like "document added", "action
taken", etc.), i.e. the granularity of events is generally coarser
than the field-level events ("property changed", "node added", etc.)
you get with JCR observation.

My thinking here is that the best approach for most use cases will be
to use a commit hook to consolidate the low level changes to less
granular application events that can then be processed in the
background using JCR observation, OSGi events, a generic message queue
system, or directly by a polling thread in the client application.

BR,

Jukka Zitting