From Thomas Mueller <muel...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Behaviour of Move Operations
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 14:38:50 GMT
Hi,

>One point of Oak is exactly that: to provide a sensible way for trading
>off consistency for availability.

As far as I understood our goals, we want to have a scalable solution.

> While I agree that consistency is
>important it should however not have an impact on scenarios where it is
>irrelevant. Other NoSQL systems have similar means for such a trade offs.

In the case of MongoDB, writes always happen on the primary node first.
That way you get consistency:
http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/faq/replica-sets/#what-do-the-terms-primary-
and-master-mean - MongoDB does provide scalable writes by sharding the
data. Improved read scalability is achieved by using replication. I think
we should try to do something similar on Oak.

Trading consistency for scalability is not necessary.

Regards,
Thomas