From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1458234 - in /jackrabbit/oak/trunk: oak-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/core/ oak-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/kernel/ oak-core/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/version/ oak-core/src/main/java/o
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 07:38:28 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Angela Schreiber <anchela@adobe.com> wrote:
> however, please keep in mind that if we are really going to move
> the permission evaluation below the tree level, we
> a) need to have an efficient way to determine the path of a
>    given node state (or it's immutabletree representation)
>    as our permission evaluation basically is path-based

Agreed. My main point above was just to note that the cost of caching
parent node states around is lower than that of caching paths.

We can definitely keep the path around in places where it is needed,
but as mentioned earlier I'd really like to avoid having to calculate
it for *all* node states. For example, assuming we implement the
optimization of detecting that the current user has full access to an
entire subtree, then there should be no need to keep track of paths
within that subtree as we can just skip all further access checks in
that subtree.

BR,

Jukka Zitting