From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: Behaviour of Move Operations
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2013 23:49:21 GMT
On 2 March 2013 01:38, Thomas Mueller <mueller@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>One point of Oak is exactly that: to provide a sensible way for trading
>>off consistency for availability.
>
> As far as I understood our goals, we want to have a scalable solution.
>
>> While I agree that consistency is
>>important it should however not have an impact on scenarios where it is
>>irrelevant. Other NoSQL systems have similar means for such a trade offs.
>
> In the case of MongoDB, writes always happen on the primary node first.
> That way you get consistency:
> http://docs.mongodb.org/manual/faq/replica-sets/#what-do-the-terms-primary-
> and-master-mean - MongoDB does provide scalable writes by sharding the
> data. Improved read scalability is achieved by using replication. I think
> we should try to do something similar on Oak.
>
> Trading consistency for scalability is not necessary.

Apache Cassandra does this using Quorum at a column family level [1]
and allows writes to any node (ie no master or primary node).

Are there any plans (or has someone already done) a CassandraMK, or is
there something in the Oak design that would prevent that level of
eventual consistency ? (I guess that might trading consistency for
scalability)

1 http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/API