From Michael Dürig <mdue...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some more benchmarks
Date Thu, 28 Mar 2013 17:51:15 GMT

On 27.3.13 14:41, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Drilling down to the NodeDelegate.getProperty() method, we have the
> following distribution of time:
>
>      NodeDelegate.getProperty()
>        95% NodeDelegate.getChildLocation()
>         5% TreeImpl.internalGetProperty() via NodeLocation.getProperty()
>
> See why I haven't been too excited about the Location concept...

This is caused by the getChildLocation taking a relative path instead of
relying on the client to navigate the hierarchy as necessary. This
effectively duplicates the effort of interpreting paths: once in
NodeDelegate.getChildLocation() and once in TreeLocation.getChild(). See
OAK-426 for some discussion.

I did a quick check and changed TeeLocation.getChild() to only take a
name instead of a relative path:

# ReadPropertyTest     min     10%     50%     90%     max       N
Oak-Default (before)    12      13      14      15     128    4166
Oak-Default (after)      8       8       8      10      99    6896

As said earlier, I suggest to change TreeLocation.getChild() to only
take names, not relative paths.

Michael