From Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Effect of KernelRootBuilder update
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:15:13 GMT
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Michael Dürig <michid@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since we now have branches in the Microkernel I suggest, we remove this
> feature entirely. That is, remove the KernelNodeBuilder and
> KernelRootBuilder classes. Unless we want to further pursue getting rid of
> NodeStoreBranch, that is.

Actually we perhaps should consider this. A problem that I just
encountered (see my post on large commits) is the way commit hooks
operate directly on the NodeBuilder level. A large commit like a big
import operation will trigger a large index update, which can easily
lead to an OutOfMemoryError with the MemoryNodeBuilder.

If we pushed the purge logic down below the NodeBuilder interface we
could address that problem. As an additional benefit the underlying
storage engine could better decide when and how pending changes should
be persisted. For example the SegmentMK could decide to only persist
those parts of the transient tree that haven't changed in a while,
leaving the active parts still in memory.

BR,

Jukka Zitting