From Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Dropping ItemImpl.checkPropertected()
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:11:47 GMT
i am not totally sure if the checkProtection can be delayed until
the save call. the specification states:

"If an item I is declared protected it is repository-controlled.
  If I is a node then, through the core write methods of JCR (see
  §10.2 Core Write Methods),
• I cannot be removed,
• child nodes of I cannot be added, removed, or reordered,
• properties of I cannot be added or removed,
• the values of existing properties of I cannot be changed,
• the primary node type of I cannot be changed and
• mixin node types cannot be added to or removed from I.
If I is a property then, through the core write methods of JCR (see
§10.2 Core
Write Methods),
• I cannot be removed and
• the value of I cannot be changed.
"

usually the specification explicitly states if a given validation
may be postponed until the save-call which is not the case here.

kind regards
angela