From Angela Schreiber <anch...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Add the #setHook method to the NodeStore?
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:38:15 GMT
hi

>> I'm wondering if we could promote the #setHook method to the NodeStore api?
>
> The intention so far has been to keep NodeStore functionally
> equivalent to the MicroKernel, i.e. just a higher-level wrapper that
> hides details like caching, JSOP processing and revision/path
> tracking. Adding commit hooks would notably change that. Ideally I'd
> see RootImpl instead of the underlying NodeStore applying the commit
> hooks.

that would also simplify things for having separate commit hook
instances depending on the 'nature' of the root... for example
creating hooks that know about the modified workspace (see OAK-625,
which currently seems to get a bit hacky) or skip commit hooks
in specific scenarios....

> The implementation dependency to KernelNodeStore.setHook() is a
> hacky solution as you noticed.

doesn't matter as long we are free to clean it up once we have
a better solution.

> So until we figure out how to move hooks away from the NodeStore
> implementation, it probably does make sense to reflect that in the
> interface. However, instead of a setHook() method, I'd rather do this
> with an additional CommitHook argument to the merge() command, as
> that'll make it easier to later move the hook processing to RootImpl.

i just had a quick look how we could get there but i don't feel
comfortable enough with the merge/commit get it done quickly.
anybody? or shall i create an issue for that?

regards
angela